Monday, February 09, 2009

Monday Night Musings

Before turning my attention to President Obama's first prime time news conference, I figured I would take a few moments and let you know what's on my mind as we start a new week:

  • Stats sent me a text this evening that simply said "A-Roid". Pretty funny. As you all know, I am more than a little tired of all the steroid talk, but I couldn't let this belt high fastball pass me by. Am I surprised? Absolutely not. Am I sad? Uh, no. Am I happy? Surprisingly, not really. You know, it's pretty unbelievable that my three least favorite athletes ever, the pitcher whose name I swore would never appear here again, the left fielder with the enormous head whose name I swore would never appear here again, and A-Rod have now been destroyed by the steroid era, and I can't seem to take any pleasure in it. Trust me, it's not because I have any sympathy for them. It's not because, like some people, I believe they are victims of a twisted media witch hunt. It's not even because I'm a decent human being. Unfortunately, it's because I just really don't care about any of this anymore. In fact, sadly, I'm not sure if I even care about baseball anymore. Consider this for a moment: my favorite team apparently has ceased to care about winning; most of the greatest players of the past 15 years have either been proven to be cheaters or are highly suspected of being cheaters; my favorite player of all time, Griff Jr., stopped being relevant long ago; my favorite current player, Manny, can't find a job; and Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are still Fox's number 1 announcing team. In short, as much as I hate it, as our nation stumbles through some of the most troubling times of our lives, everything about our national pastime stinks worse than 9 acres of garlic. Bad times.

  • I did watch A-Rod's interview with Gammons, and all I have to say is that I have spent more than my fair share of time with people that left me with a strong desire to immediately take a shower. Let's just say that I'm pretty sure Peter Gammons felt the same way when he completed that interview. Here were some of my favorite quotes:

"I was stupid for three years. I was very, very stupid" (No argument here)

"The more honest we can all be, the quicker we can get baseball to where it needs to be." (I'm so glad A-Rod is going to be baseball's savior)

"The point of the matter was that I started experimenting with things that today are not legal or today are not accepted and today you would get in a lot of trouble for." (Okay...)

"And to be quite honest, I don't know exactly what substance I was guilty of using." (Wait a minute, if you don't know what you were taking, how do you know what you started experimenting with? I'm not following you, A-Rod.)

"I've played the best baseball of my career since..." (I know a few Yankees fans that would take umbrage with that comment)

"I've won two MVPs since and I've never felt better in my career. Of that I'm very proud of." (I'm sure you are. I hear Raffi Palmeiro is very proud of his 3,000 career hits)

"There were a lot of people doing a lot of things..." (My God, other people were using steroids! Thanks for the revelation.)

"When you take this gorilla and this monkey off your back, you realize that honesty is the only way..." (I'm so proud of you for voluntarily coming forward and not lying about not using steroids on national television or anything like that...oh, wait. My bad.)

"I'm finally beginning to grow up. I'm pretty tired of being stupid and selfish, you know, about myself. The truth needed to come out a long time ago. I'm glad it's coming out today." (I agree you need to grow up and that you are stupid and selfish. I'm glad we are on the same page)

And, my favorite, when attempting to justify his nationally televised lie to Katie Couric back in '07:

"at the time, Peter, I wasn't even being truthful with myself. How am I going to be truthful with Katie or CBS?" (This is really good. Next time you speak with President Clinton, tell him I said hello.)

So, let's see. In one interview, A-Rod admits he took a banned substance. He initially appears to take responsibility for his actions. Then, he goes out of his way to paint himself as a sympathetic and naive figure whose nationally televised lie was forgivable and understandable. If that's not enough, he goes as far as proclaim that his "confession" has set him free and will set baseball free. Oh, and he apparently thinks casting a cloud of suspicion over all players ("There were a lot of people doing a lot of things...") is going to help set baseball free. And, finally, let's not forget that he took time to attack and disparage the SI reporter and went as far as to allege that she stalked him.

My God, now I feel like I need a shower. Here's the cold hard truth: A-Rod has always been a self involved narcissist that cared more about himself and his public perception than anything else. The only thing that's changed is that he just got caught in a monumental lie. You know what liars do when they get caught? They try to paint themselves as victims while pointing to the behavior of others to justify their own sleaziness. So, why haven't the aforementioned pitcher and guy with the enormous head gone this route yet? Well, in their twisted minds, they don't think they've been caught yet. If nothing else, I guess we can give A-Rod credit for being smarter than those two guys. That's something, I guess.

  • The GRAMMY'S were broadcast Sunday night on CBS. Much to my dismay, Verne Lundquist and Todd Blackledge didn't appear to present Tim Tebow with the "Greatest Human Being To Ever Walk The Earth" award, but there were some highlights:

  • Say what you will about Coldplay, but you have to admit these guys put on one hell of a show. They took the stage shortly after U-2, and I think they were every bit as strong as Bono and Co. (Yes, I am perfectly aware of the heckling headed my way);

  • Carrie Underwood may be the perfect woman;

  • Jennifer Hudson's voice and courage are awe inspiring;

  • Nobody, in the history of bodies, has ever looked more uncomfortable than Alison Krauss every time Robert Plant hugged her. At this point, I would pay a completely irresponsible amount of money to see any video of the two of them during their recording sessions. God knows what medications she had to take to keep her sanity during those sessions. Actually, based on her looks last night, I'm not sure she did keep her sanity;

  • J.T. and T.I. had the performance of the night, hands down! It's a shame they can't embark on the Alphabet Soup Tour because of that whole T.I. going to jail thing.

One final point before signing off, in this week's race for the "Really" award, Jamal Anderson has a slight lead on A-Rod. I'm willing to be convinced to go the other way, but for now, he's in the lead. Although, as I continue to listen to President Obama speak, I'm thinking he might have a shot. (Just kidding. Remember, no politics on The WAD).