Thursday, December 04, 2008

Television Thursday?

Yes, I know this column gained world-wide praise as "Television Tuesday", but who says we can't mix things up and talk a little T.V. on a Thursday? And yes, by "world-wide praise" I mean Hans really used to like it. And yes, I realize I haven't written this column in over a year. In my defense, however, I submit respectfully that this television season has completely sucked (yes, I actually just wrote "submit respectfully" and realized that my job has completely infiltrated every aspect of my life. I was going to delete it but decided to leave it in so that you would understand if I decide to bludgeon myself to death tonight with a blunt object). So, why now, after a year's absence, do I feel compelled to bring back "Television Tuesday" on a Thursday? Two words: "Friday Night Lights".

I don't know many things to an absolute certainty in life, but I do know: 1) We will all die; 2) We will all pay taxes; 3) Paul Johnson has brass balls; and 4) "Friday Night Lights" is the best show on television. I don't want to talk about death or taxes, and it might be a little weird if I talked about Paul Johnson's balls, so that leaves us with FNL. But, here's the rub. Unless you have the greatest gift God has ever given us (a/k/a DirecTV), you haven't had the chance to see any of the 9 new episodes this season. Amazingly, FNL's ratings have been so poor in its first two seasons on NBC, the only way Season 3 received the green light was DirecTV agreeing to air the season on The 101 (great channel) before NBC fully committed to airing the season after the first of the year. Bizarre, right? All this reveals two things: 1) Not enough people are watching FNL; and 2) most, if not all, of you have not had the chance to watch any of Season 3.

Bearing these two things in mind, I want to make a point about FNL, but I don't want to give away any of the plot twists from Season 3. Let's give it a shot: Please, if you ever cared for me at all, watch Season 3 of FNL this winter and spring on NBC!

Seriously, we have to do everything in our power to make sure Season 4 sees the light of day. In a television era increasingly dominated by ridiculous shows about Phd's and renegade cops played by terrible actors (I'm calling you out David Caruso) solving murders and loathsome Atlanta housewives (yes, I watched it), there simply has to be room for a show that provides riveting story lines; complex, interesting, and well-developed characters; realistic, humorous, and entertaining dialogue; and the hottest chick in Hollywood, Minka Kelly. Seriously, she's out of control. I can't stress this enough.

In sum, in case I haven't been clear, PLEASE watch season 3 of FNL. We need more shows like it, and we definitely need more of this: http://www.askmen.com/women/galleries/celeb-profiles-actress/minka-kelly/picture-2.html You're welcome.

Check back Saturday for my Championship Game breakdowns and NFL picks. I'm feeling a big week coming. Then again, I always feel a big week coming.