Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday Musings

16 days without a post! Hardly a record, but still very impressive. That being said, I know you are dying for the kind of insight you can only get here, so let's catch up a little:

  • Two things came out of Saturday night's massacre in Norman: 1) Big Game Bob made his much awaited re-appearance; and 2) Everybody in America seems to have suddenly forgotten everything Mike Leach and the Red Raiders have accomplished this season. Yesterday morning, this morning, and tonight, every talk radio host and caller I heard kept going on and on about how awful it would be if OU lost this Saturday in Stillwater and Tech was able to play in the Big 12 Title Game. My questions is simple. Why would this be so awful? Listen, I know they got blown right back to West Texas Saturday night, but that still doesn't change the fact that, in back to back weeks, they knocked off the #1 team in America and beat the #9 team in the country every bit as bad as OU beat them. At the end of the day, if they sneak into the Big 12 Title Game, and if they beat Mizzou and finish the season 12-1, they will be deserving of a shot at the BCS Title.

I understand at first glance the above sentence looks and sounds absurd, but it's not. Over the past 48 hours, I've heard countless people tell me how OU shouldn't get a shot over Texas since Texas won the head to head matchup. And, to each person, I've explained that I would agree if this was a two way tie, but the logic simply doesn't hold up in the event of a three way tie. Put it this way, if you are one of those people that believes it would be a travesty for OU to go to the BCS Title Game over Texas then you, by definition, have to believe Texas Tech is more deserving than Texas since they beat the 'Horns head to head. So, if OU stumbles Saturday night (about as likely as Turtle hooking up with Meadow Soprano...what? Really?), and Tech takes care of its business against Baylor and Mizzou, how can you argue that they shouldn't be in the same position as a 12-1 Texas or OU team?

Finally, I'm never one to shamelessly take credit for predicting something correctly (read sarcasm), but if you scroll down a few entries, you will see I saw this whole situation coming a mile away. This, of course, proves you don't have to be a genius to figure this stuff out.

  • Okay, I honestly don't want to get into the BCS v. Playoff debate. Honestly, I don't. I hate this debate because there is no right answer. It's one of those questions that does not have a right or wrong answer because it is simply based on personal preference. Yet, people seem incapable of acknowledging that sometimes it is okay that other people simply have a different opinion than you. Let's face it, it's not politics, it's not religion, and it's not the law. Therefore, whether we have a college football playoff or not isn't going to have any impact on our quality of life of the future of our country, which, in my opinion, renders it a question not worthy of inflaming your emotions. Yet, for some reason, every time somebody finds out that I oppose a college football playoff, they talk to me like I'm either a) retarded; and/or b) Mike Vick's dog trainer.

All that being said, since it is as hot a topic as it's ever been, despite how much I hate the debate, I will indulge and pose a few questions to consider if you are a staunch proponent of the playoff system, and I encourage you to put your answers, thoughts, and comments below:

1) Assuming an eight team playoff, how do you determine those 8 teams? Do you take the 6 major conference champions and two at large teams? If so, who decides on the at large teams?

2) In the above scenario, if Missouri wins the Big 12 Title Game over OU, do both Texas and Texas Tech at 11-1 get the at large bids? What about an undefeated Utah team? Boise State? What if UF beats Alabama in the SEC Title Game (highly likely), does a 1 loss Alabama team go over a 1 loss Texas or Texas Tech team? Does Tech get the nod over Texas since they beat them head to head even though OU just scored again against Tech 3 minutes ago?

3) Under any scenario that involves awarding conference champions, are a 3 loss ACC Champ, or a multi-loss Big East or Pac-10 Champ more deserving than a 1 loss Big 12 or SEC team that didn't win their conference?

4) Just for the sake of exploration, let's take a look at what the 8 team field could look like this year, assuming automatic bids for conference champs:

ACC - Va. Tech or Boston College

Big East - Cincinnati

SEC - Florida

Big 10 - Penn St.

Big 12 - OU

Pac 10 - Oregon State

At large #1 - USC

At large #2 - Texas

So, what about Alabama, Texas Tech, Utah, Boise St.

In sum, I guess this is my ultimate point: Right now, we have a system that breeds debate and controversy. And, if you think for one minute that a playoff system is going to alleviate that, well, I just don't see it. In fact, I think a playoff system would only breed more controversy and uncertainty. In truth, at the end of this season, we will probably have one or two teams at the most that have a legit argument that they should have been given a chance to play for the Crystal Ball (likely only Texas). If we move to a playoff system, we are going to have more teams that are going to have an argument that they should have had a chance to be part of the playoff. This year alone, we would have no less than 4 (assuming an 8 team playoff). In other words, if you want to argue for a playoff, that's cool. I respect that. Please just don't argue that it will somehow eliminate the controversy and give us a clear cut national champion. The only way to do that would be to cut the number of teams in college football to 32, form two conferences, play a round robin, have 6 playoff teams from each conference, and play the championship game on a neutral field the last Sunday of January. Unfortunately, I'm not sure my team would make the cut, and I think somebody has actually already taken this idea.

  • A couple of house cleaning items before I sign off:

1) Locks of the Week - Over the past two weeks, a very few of you have sent me your locks, but I have failed to send out the normal reminder email, which has resulted in very few entries. Therefore, I am making the executive decision that we just took a two week hiatus from the Locks. We, however, will start up again this week, so send me your locks. If you don't like this decision, I apologize, and I promise to give you a full refund.

2) UGA v. G. Tech - The Jackets have a chance to win this game. For that reason, I will not be making any more comments about this game. In case you haven't noticed, I have an unbelievable ability to adversely influence the outcome of games. I'll just say that I'm hopeful but not confident.

3) Schedule moving forward - I will post weekend picks and commentary on Friday, as well as my thoughts and observations on Wednesday night's Hawks game, which I will be attending with DB. We have sweet seats, and I've been resting the shoulder. There is a good chance I run out on the court and launch a 3.

4) "Entourage" - Finally! I will provide a more detailed breakdown of the mini-season we just completed shortly, but for now, suffice it to say that I was very happy with the mini-season finale!

5) "24 - Redemption" - More to come on this soon as well, but let's just say it was a very good Sunday night!