Monday, September 01, 2008

For Apologetic Purposes Only

I owe you all a huge apology. It is true that I can never give you back the time from your life that you spent reading my prediction that Va. Tech would go undefeated this year, but I promise to fully refund all your subscription fees. Not to worry, the check is in the mail. Seriously, I hope my prediction in combination with Va. Tech’s humiliating loss on Saturday reminds you of each of the following: 1) Any idiot can post anything on the internet; 2) I rarely have any idea what I am talking about (if you need further proof, just check my picks for this week: 6 – 8 at press time with UCLA +7.5 still out there); and 3) The ACC is awful this year.

Honestly, number 3 above is the major reason I felt Va. Tech could actually go undefeated despite losing 8 starters on defense and dressing 30 players in week 1 that had never played a college football game. Now, in a strange way, Va. Tech’s failure validates the underlying theory behind the prediction. And no, this is not my way of trying to somehow salvage some credibility after making one of the worst predictions of all time. If I was trying to do that I would remind you of Celtics in 6 and Pierce as MVP, but I would never stoop so low. No, all I am trying to do is state what should be obvious after this past weekend: the ACC is in a state of crisis. As much as I would like to do so, I simply cannot defend my alma mater’s conference. Unless Miami and FSU can somehow find a way to achieve a level of success befitting their talent level and their history, there does not appear to be an ACC team that can sniff the top 10 this season. Any thoughts of Clemson or Va. Tech serving this role certainly didn’t survive this weekend.

Now that I have completely buried the ACC, here are a few more observations from Week 1 of the ’08 season (no predictions, just straight observations):

Alabama, Fresno State, and Missouri are really good;

Michigan, Arkansas, and Mississippi St. are not good; and

After Week 1, USC and Oklahoma look like the two teams most likely to play for the Crystal Ball. But, as we know all too well, the beautiful thing about college football is that this is subject to change every week.

That’s all for now. I have to prepare to watch the premier of “Raising the Bar” on TNT (starring Zack Morris with very long hair). Hopefully, Steven Bochco’s latest law drama will mark the beginning of a great fall television season, which really takes off with the “Entourage” premier next Sunday. Just a hunch, but I don’t think that will be the last time you see a reference to “Entourage” in this space.