Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Things to do this summer

Here's something to pass the time while we wait on the WAD's NBA finals preview.

We've officially entered the time of year when entertainment options are few and far between. TV shows are in reruns. The only sport is baseball. It's 120 degrees in the shade. What's a grown man to do?

Now's a great time to get caught up on some low dollar entertainment options. Visit your local library, and while you're there check out some of these TV shows you might have missed. First is Oz. Get over your fear of full-frontal male nudity and get ready for one of the best shows ever. On the whole, I think it's better than the Sopranos (which, if you know me, says a lot). In fact, you can get the first season on DVD pretty cheap. If you live in the ATL, you can probably borrow it from Stats. Once you start, I guarantee you'll be hooked all the way through the end of season six.

Another semi-hidden gem is The Shield. Watch your friendly Commish become a badassss member of an elite LAPD unit. Personally, I love the show because the protagonist is an ass-kicking man who's all of 5'8". I can identify with that. I know some of you are fans of 24, and its puny leading man, but you've got to give The Shield a chance.

Of course The Wire is a not-so-hidden gem. Not much to be said here, other than the fact that the fourth season is now out on DVD, so it's a great time to get caught up.

If you want to learn something, check out the Planet Earth series. I can't tell you how great it looks on my 27" standard-definition TV. I particularly enjoy the last 10 minutes of each episode that shows how it was shot.

I'm always looking for new stuff to watch, so post any suggestions you've got.

Have a nice day.

Fite