Monday, June 16, 2008

Simply Amazing

What can I possibly say about Tiger that hasn't already been said? You already know he's the greatest golfer of all time. You already know he is the most clutch athlete we've seen since M.J. You already know Tiger has one of the hottest wives in the world. What you might not know is that it's 11:30 p.m., I just got home from work, I have to be up at 5:30 a.m., and I just cranked up the TIVO to watch Tiger v. Rocco. That's right, the thought of waiting until later this week to watch these 19 holes didn't even cross my mind. What Tiger has done over the past five days, winning possibly the toughest Championship in Golf on a bad knee and with virtually no preparation, transcends sports. It's been an event. It's been a coronation. It's been something we won't soon forget. It's been something we should feel privileged to have witnessed. And, finally, it's something we will all tell our kids and grand kids about one day. That being said, I'm going to settle in and enjoy every last shot (thank God for TIVO)! Before doing so, I do need to acknowledge Rocco's toughness. This script wouldn't have been complete without Rocco pushing Tiger to such amazing heights. For his sake, I hope Rocco doesn't go the way of Bob May and Chris DiMarco, the only other two guys to ever go toe to toe with Tiger with it all on the line. Unfortunately for them, May and DiMarco peaked when they fell short. Here's hoping the old goofy bastard from Western Pennsylvania gets another shot at greatness. Perhaps at the Ryder Cup?

Oh yeah, Game 5 was great and Game 6 should be a blast. There is plenty of time to talk about the C's and Lakers tomorrow and the next day. For today, however, nothing should share the stage with the greatest U.S. Open of our lifetime. Yes, I said it, and I'm open to being convinced otherwise, but I just don't think you can do it.

I'm out...Tiger just parred #1...