Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Musings

I don’t even know where to begin in trying to describe how I felt yesterday watching Taylor Bennett look like an All American against West Virginia. Sure, the Jackets lost the game, but that wasn’t the worst part of the day. The worst part was realizing that we would have won 11 games this year with ANY quarterback that could see over the line of scrimmage and didn’t overthrow every deep ball by ten yards. I repeat, ANY quarterback! I refuse to beat myself up over it, so I’m going to just move on. After all, there is plenty of other stuff to talk about on the first work day of the new year. Well, at least it’s a work day for all of us that don’t work for the federal and state governments that get the day off because a 93 year old man that was never elected to the Executive Branch died. Oh well, we can’t all be as lucky as Fite, although he would probably trade his day off for a different ending to last night’s Fiesta Bowl. Actually, I don't want to underestimate Fite's laziness, so I won't make that assumption. At any rate, here's some musings to kick off the New Year:

  • Speaking of said Fiesta Bowl, all I can say is WOW!!! The game itself wasn’t that great. It was riddled with penalties and turnovers, but the final two minutes of regulation and the overtime were simply scintillating. The guts OU showed to come back and tie the game, the guts Zambransky showed to overcome the pick six and lead his team down for the tying touchdown with :7 left, the staggering creativity of Boise’s offensive play calling from the last play of regulation to the two point conversion in overtime, and the explosiveness of AD on his OT touchdown run, made that quite possibly the most remarkable ending to a football game I’ve ever seen. We’ve seen great finishes, and we’ve seen big upsets, but I don’t think we’ve ever seen such a series of so many amazing and improbable events to finish a football game. Then, to cap it off, Ian Thompson drops to one knee after the game to propose to his girlfriend on national television. I was so caught up in the moment that it almost didn’t make me nauseas…almost. What a football game! God, I love bowl games! And, by the way, the over/under on Chris Peterson’s days at Boise State is 4, and I’m loving the under. It’s good to be Chris Peterson and Chris Peterson’s agent right about now.

  • Nice job making your case Michigan. Real nice. In all sincerity, I don’t even want to hear anybody try to tell me that Michigan’s failure to show up yesterday validates their exclusion from the National Championship Game. Here’s the deal, the Wolverines just didn’t show up. After what happened to them, they couldn’t emotionally get up for the game. Is that excusable? Of course not. It’s embarrassing for them. But, it doesn’t for one second mean that on the first Saturday in December, based on all the empirical evidence in front of the voters, that they weren’t the second best team in America at that time. And, for the last time, let me remind everybody that the stated purpose of the BCS is to put the best two teams in America at the end of the regular season against one another for the national championship. So, yes, despite the Rose Bowl debacle, I still believe that Michigan proved itself to be the second best team in America on the first Saturday and December; therefore, they were more deserving than Florida for a crack at Ohio State on January 8th. That’s it and that’s all, and I won’t say another word about it.

  • Nobody has been a bigger skeptic about the one network that doesn’t carry a SINGLE regular season college football game carrying the BCS than me. That being said, I have to admit that Tom Brennaman was outstanding doing play by play last night. I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise, because he is possibly the best baseball announcer in America, but the thought of him doing football seemed strange to me. Thankfully, it wasn’t. He was great. Barry Alavarez and Charles White were awkward at times, but mostly enjoyable if not terribly insightful. And, the combination of Switzer and Jimmy Johnson as studio analysts was tremendous to see. This is a dream pairing for me as I will explain in just a minute. So, at the end of the day, although it wasn’t perfect, I’m no longer upset about Fox carrying the BCS. But, so help me God, if I have to listen to Joe Buck and Troy Aikman do one college football game, I’m going to vomit all over myself.

  • I have real mixed emotions about the Jim Mora firing. Admittedly, I’ve never been a fan of Mora. I’ve always felt he was to rah-rah for the pro game, and quite frankly, was too immature to be a head coach. Plus, he strikes me as the kind of guy that would come to your house to watch a game and spend the whole time telling you why it would be cooler to watch the game at his house. In short, I didn’t like him much as a coach and I don’t think there is much chance I would like him as a person. So, am I upset he got canned? Nope. Am I worried that he got canned but Arthur Blank doesn’t have a plan to replace him? Absolutely. I’m a firm believer in the fact that you don’t fire a coach unless you’ve got the next guy already lined up, and by all accounts, it doesn’t appear that the Falcons have that guy lined up. And, let me just say that if I hear the names Denny Green, Mike Martz, or Jim Haslett associated with this job in the next few days, I’m going to lose my shit. I don’t want an NFL re-tread. I want a fresh face like a Ralph Friedgen, Charlie Weiss, Ken Whisenhunt, Bob Stoops, or in a perfect world, Mark Richt. I mean, what could be better than the Falcons getting a great coach and UGA losing one? I can’t think of a thing!

  • Speaking of NFL coaching vacancies, unbelievably, it looks like there might actually be one in Miami. I’m simply speechless at the fact that Alabama appears to be putting as much as $50 million on the table over 10 years for Nick Saban. Part of me thinks it’s ridiculous for a school to pay a guy over $1 million more than any other school is paying their coach, but another part of me has a lot of respect for Mal Moore and the BSD (big swinging dick) Tide boosters that appear to have said, “f*ck it. We are tired of being mediocre, and we want to be back in our rightful place in the college football hierarchy no matter what it costs.” And, if they get Saban, it won’t take long for them to be right back in the mix of the SEC and national title hunts. Simply remarkable what they are doing. I don’t know if they are setting a good or bad example in the world of “scholastic athletics”, but as a fan of people that will do anything to win, I’m in favor of it. Then again, I am the guy that thinks Barry Switzer and Jimmy Johnson should be the model for any coach running a college football program.

  • Has there ever been a more compelling Wild Card Weekend than what we are in store for this coming weekend? I mean, when you match up the Pats and Jets, the Chiefs and Colts, the Giants and Eagles, and the Cowboys and the defending NFC Champion Seahawks, you’ve got some seriously intense match-ups on your hands. Then, you follow that up with the National Championship game on Monday Night? Are you kidding me? What a phenomenal three days of football we have to look forward to!

  • By the way, I’m starting a new business. From this point forward, I will be offering my services to all college and professional football coaches. Here’s how the business plan works: If the coach pays me enough money, I will promise to root for their opponent in any particular game. This, of course, will guaranty the coach and his team victory. Hey, I figure I can let the fact that every team I root for always loses kill me slowly and painfully, or I can profit off it. Really, it’s a no brainer.

  • Did you catch Brett Favre breaking down in tears after Sunday night’s game? Honestly, that was the most uncomfortable crying scene since Stallone crying over Mickey’s dead body in the locker room in Rocky III. In other words, Favre’s tears were as believable as Sly’s. I love Favre, but you have to be an idiot to think that this guy doesn’t just eat up every second he is on t.v. or somebody on t.v. is talking about him. For the love of God, just please bow out gracefully Brett. Don’t make me beg or I might start crying!

  • Less than two weeks till the season premier of “24”. To be more specific, it’s 12 days, 20 hours, 11 minutes, and 20 seconds from the moment I’m typing this. Not that I’m excited or slightly obsessed.

  • Finally, just a heads up that tomorrow is going to be a pretty important article on the WAD. I’ve got some big news to share about the future of the WAD in 2007, so I would encourage you to check in. How’s that for a tease?