Monday, December 04, 2006

Sound Off Monday

Listen, I thought about writing about this BCS controversy, but I figured that it made no sense for me to do so. I've never seen an issue more perfect to leave to the WAD Nation to discuss and debate. So, it's an open forum today. Tell me all the reasons why Florida is more deserving than Michigan or vice versa. Tell me all the reasons why this should be proof that we need a playoff or vice versa. This is our chance for some real high quality debate, let's not drop the ball.

As for me, you know I'm totally anti playoff. I love college football as it is. I love the fact that every week matters as much as the week before and after, and I love the fact that the success of a season is often measured by your success in your rivalry game. Those are the things that make college football so special. That being said, for the first time in my life, I'm open to hearing arguments in favor of a playoff. Because, if there was ever a season where one was warranted, it might be this one. So, if you are so inclined, convince me why I've been wrong all these years.

As for the Michigan or Florida debate, I think both schools have very compelling arguments. I, however, would have chosen Michigan based on the following reason: At no point this year did I watch Florida and say, "man, this is a great football team!" Honestly, they kept winning, but they never made me shake my head and say, "those are some bad mother f*ckers!" Michigan, on the other hand, made me say both those things on a number of occassions. First, in South Bend. Second, with their defensive dessimation of Penn St. in Happey Valley. And, finally, with their amazing effort at the Horseshoe. So, at the end of the day, I think Michigan is undoubtedly the second best team in the country and they deserve a shot at the Buckeyes on a neutral field. Plain and simple. And, shouldn't that be the goal, to put the best two teams in America on a neutral field to decide the championship? That's my argument.