Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The WAD One Year Later

It all started one year ago today. It was October 5, 2005, the Braves were embarking on another playoff heartbreak and I was embarking on what has become one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. Writing this blog over the past year has served as a great stress release, a source for a lot of laughs, a source for a little introspection, and yes, even sometimes a source for stress. In short, it is has been what I intended it to be: a look into my life and the way I think. For better or worse, one year ago, I decided to give the world a peak inside my head. Obviously, some articles have been better than others. In fact, I think some have been very good, and I’m quite certain that some have been very bad. But, almost without exception, they have been fun to write. All that being said, as a means to celebrate the one year anniversary of this great ride, I decided it would be best to take a look back. And, to do so, I’ve decided to give out, in no particular order, some awards and superlatives. And, just for fun, I’m going to call them the First Annual WADS:

THE WADS

1) It’s only right that on the first anniversary we give a special commemorative award to the first post in WAD history: Atlanta: Sports Town or Not:

http://dunnworld.blogspot.com/2005/10/atlanta-sports-town-or-not.html

2) The award for the article with the best comments, of course, goes to this entry from February 1, 2006:

http://dunnworld.blogspot.com/2006/02/mailing-it-in-top-7-style.html#comments

Let me just say thanks to everybody for all your kind words. Really, it means a lot.

3) The award for the article that I most enjoyed writing goes to this recap of one of the greatest college football games I’ve ever seen: One that Lived Up to the Hype

http://dunnworld.blogspot.com/2006/01/one-that-lived-up-to-hype.html

I loved writing this article not only because the game was phenomenal, but the comedy provided by Dave and Hans was transcendent at times.

4) The award for the most difficult article to write goes to another one of my personal favorites: And The Winner Is (NFL Postseason Awards)

http://dunnworld.blogspot.com/2006/01/and-winner-is.html

These movie quote articles take a lot of time to write and require a ton of research, but in the end, they have always been a lot of fun. I’d love to do more of them, but I’m pretty lazy.

5) The award for best television/entertainment article of the year goes to: Television Tuesday from February 28, 2006 (Bachelor Season Finale)

http://dunnworld.blogspot.com/2006/02/television-tuesday_28.html

Say what you will, but “The Bachelor” is entertaining as hell. Not to mention, it makes for very easy writing.

6) The award for best NBA related article goes to: Game 3: A view from the Sunporch ( A running diary of what turned out to be a legendary performance by D. Wade).

http://atlantawad.blogspot.com/2006/06/game-3-view-from-sun-porch.html

I am so thankful that I kept this running diary so I can look back years from now and remember how phenomenal D. Wade was that night. It was truly one of the great performance of our lifetimes.

7) The award for best guest appearance on The WAD undoubtedly goes to good friend of The WAD Drew Barry for his NCAA Tournament Preview:

http://dunnworld.blogspot.com/2006/03/ncaa-question-and-answer-with-drew.html

As I mentioned at the outset of this article, Drew is one of the funniest guys and best conversationalists you will ever meet. And, he was a brilliant basketball player and has a brilliant basketball mind. It was truly a pleasure to have him chime in on the NCAA Tourney, and to later chime in on the NBA Draft. Many thanks go to him for taking the time out of his schedule to give us one of our best articles.

8) The “Readers Choice Award” goes to the article that received the most positive feedback from my readers: The Kid (Ken Griffey article)

http://atlantawad.blogspot.com/2006/05/kid.html

This was truly a great article to write. Jr. is one of my favorite athletes of all time and I received more complimentary emails and phone calls following this article than any other I have written. In fact, at the prodding of a few friends, I actually submitted this article to the major newspapers in Seattle and Cincinnati, but I never heard back from any of them. Assholes!

9) The WAD Athlete of the Year Award undoubtedly goes to 5 time Man of the Week Award Winner, Tiger Woods.

It seems like every time we think we’ve seen it all, Tiger finds a new way to amaze us. With two Major wins this year, 8 tour victories, 6 straight wins, all in the midst of dealing with personal loss, I can’t think of many athletes, if any, that have ever had a better year.

10) The WAD Television Character of the Year goes to Jack Bauer. Tony Soprano and Ari Gold certainly got consideration, but at the end of the day, I was scared of what Jack might do to me if he didn’t get the award!

11) And, finally, The WAD Man of the Year goes to Jason Collier. As you all know, we lost Jason nearly one year ago. He was a tremendous college basketball player, he had established himself in the NBA, he was a husband, a father, and he was a tremendous friend. His death came as a shock to all of those that knew him, and it was a very difficult thing for us to deal with. Even in death, however, he still serves as a source of laughter and smiles for his friends. Just these past two nights I have had the good fortune of spending time with my good friend and Jason’s old Georgia Tech teammate, Jon Babul, and in the very short time we spent together, we mentioned Jason numerous times. We told stories, we shared laughs, but we always came back to the same thing: we just still can’t believe he’s gone. As cliché as it sounds, however, he is certainly not forgotten. If you like, you can read the words I wrote about Jason the day after he left us, as well as some wonderful comments by Matt Judy:

http://dunnworld.blogspot.com/2005/10/jason-collier-1977-2005.html



So, let me just extend my sincere thanks to all of you for reading this year. I hope that you all have enjoyed reading and participating on The WAD half as much as I have enjoyed writing the articles. Also, I would be remissed if I didn't offer a special thanks to Fisher for not only providing all the technical support for The WAD, but also for being the person that originally encouraged me to do this. And, special thanks go to Stats for being a huge supporter and tremendous commentor on a daily basis. Finally, a huge "Boomer" goes out to Fite for always being willing to step in and pinch hit for me when I needed a break or got too caught up in that distraction called work. I'd be lying if I said that I ever envisioned The WAD becoming as big a part of my life as it has, but I'm grateful that it has, and I owe you all a debt of gratitude for making that happen.



Now, before I sign off, on this one year anniversary, I figure I owe you some comedy. Well fortunately for you and me, Fite has been hard at work compiling links over the past few days to some of the most entertaining stuff on the internet. So, as an anniversary present to you, I give you Fite's Links of the Week:


Let's start with a preview of the Screech sex tape. Don't worry, it's safe for work. His nakedness is covered by a bubble bath, and his language is bleeped. Just enough to prove the tape exists. Nice.

On to a complete meltdown submitted by Big Ern. You have to listen to the whole thing. Priceless.

Big Ern's second contribution is this great video. Sounds like a cross between the Waterboy's coach and a boar.

What happens in conservative communities where you can't put Jackass Number Two on a billboard?

Is a Tech grad more likely to recognize this, or these? Clearly it's the first.

Anybody wonder what Biff is up to these days?