Monday, October 09, 2006

Monday Musings

Another weekend fades to black, and as we start the new week, here's what's on my mind:

  • I'm angry that the Jackets did everything they possibly could to lose to Maryland on Saturday. I think their performance at times (i.e. the kickoff return for a touchdown, the inexplicable and horrendous fake field goal, and the decision to go for 2 up 4 with 10 minutes left) was a highlight reel of Chan Gailey's ineptitudes. That being said, my anger is far outweighed by my relief. This was a game we would have lost each of the past four years, but not this time around. As bad as it was it times...we found a way to win. And, that my friends, is why I just can't shake the feeling that this team is different and quite possibly special. Only time will tell. With huge road obstacles remaining at Clemson, N.C. State, and UGA, as well as a home battle with an improving Miami team, 7-5 is still a distinct possibility, but for the first time under Chan Gailey, it is not a probability.

  • Sure, I'm biased, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a more dominate half of football than Tennessee's second half in Athens Saturday night. I was astounded at the ease with which they moved the football. I refuse to believe that UGA's defense is that bad. Instead, I am convinced that Tennessee's offense is that good. In turn, I have no choice but to believe that Florida might just be the best team in the country.

  • Coach Tubberville, are you still worried about getting hosed by the BCS?

  • At the same time Tennesse was putting on their show in Athens, the Cal Bears were putting on equally impressive show against Oregon. Now, I've seen Cal play, and I've seen USC play. And, I have very little doubt that, at this moment in time, Cal is the best team in the PAC - 10. I doubt anybody cares, but I figured I'd mention it.

  • Joe Buck and Troy Aikman should be severely reprimanded by Fox. Sure, it's no secret that I hate Joe Buck, but I have legitimate reasons for my anger. Listen, I know that T.O. is a nut job, and I know that he makes it easy for people to make him out to be the bad guy. But, that is no reason for Buck and Aikman to go out of their way on Sunday to somehow blame T.O. for every stupid decision or mistake Bledsoe made. Their most egregious transgression came when T.O. got behind the Eagle defense and Bledsoe proceeded to under throw him by six yards resulting in a pick. Instead of simply pointing out that Bledsoe is a huge stiff, Buck and Aikman spent the better part of five minutes trying to pin the interception on the fact that T.O. didn't come off the line at full speed. Never mind that he ended up being open by five yards, somehow it was T.O.' s fault. In short, their analysis was wrong and it was unprofessional. And, the fact that this seems to be increasingly the norm for Buck, it is time that Fox did something about it.

  • It took five games, but Reggie Bush was finally cleared for lift off on Sunday. I, for one, am very excited about this.

  • Just when I thought this weekend couldn't get any better (Tech wins, UGA loses, the Yankees lose, Reggie Bush scores his first NFL touchdown), Big Stiff goes off and tosses two picks en route to the Steelers' third straight loss. The good times keep on rolling.

  • Finally, Hans and I took in the late showing of "The Departed" last night. I won't give anything away about the movie, but I will say that it was fantastic. Lucky Leo gave his best performance since "Basketball Diaries", Damon was solid, Baldwin was entertaining, Nicholson carried the show, Wahlberg was a Chief saying and doing Chief things, and Sheen was the lovable father figure type he has mastered in his old age. On the whole, I would give it a solid 9, and I would encourage you to go invest the 2.5 hours and go see this movie.