Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Monday Musings on Tuesday

As I sit here in the WAD Palace (a/k/a Hans’ House), we have an amazing night of television in front of us. We are going to kick things off with a little “How I Met Your Mother”, followed by “Prison Break”, “Justice”, “Friday Night Lights”, and “What About Brian”. Not to mention, we’ve got the Golden Boy and the Pats on the road against the Vikes on Big Screen #2. As if that wasn’t all the makings for a great night, we just gorged ourselves on Jalisco take out. Why am I telling you this? Because, this is just about as good as it gets, and I felt like I should share that with you.

Now, as to why it’s taken until Tuesday for me to give you the “Monday Musings”, let me just say that I have a good excuse. I didn’t get out of bed until about 8 P.M. last night. Why, you ask? Well, I honestly can’t tell you, but if you ask Shalls, Devo, Kuhn, Moreland, Scott, and Smitty, and they would probably say it had something to do with the bottle of Beam, the multiple tequila shots, and the rounds of drinks I bought for total strangers on Saturday night. But, that’s just one theory. You know, I haven’t had a night anywhere close to that since…well…the night the Jackets beat Miami last year. I guess the ‘Canes just bring out the best in me. Or, the worst if you are one of the unfortunate folks that has to endure me at 4 a.m. So, I offer many thanks to my good friends for getting me home in one piece Saturday night, and let’s get on to my thoughts from the weekend gone by, or at least what I can remember from it:

  • I don’t have to tell you how huge Saturday’s win was for the Jackets. I mean, after the debacle at Clemson, I don’t think anybody had any idea what to expect. And, when Reggie Ball pulled a classic Reggie Ball moment on the opening play of the game, things looked pretty bleak. But, this team responded and showed us why they are different than any other Chan Gailey team we’ve seen to this point. They kept battling and good things started to happen. And, as the sun started to set and the crowd went down right insane, the ACC Coastal Division Championship became a very real possibility. In fact, it became a near certainty. Saturday was a very good day to be a Tech fan, and I only hope there are more to come in the near future.

  • USC’s loss certainly threw the BCS picture into complete chaos. Now, we’ve got the very real possibility that a one loss team could end up playing for the National Title over an undefeated Louisville or WVU team, or Rutgers for that matter (man, that was strange to write). Now, if this does happen, most people are going to rant and rave that this is why we need a playoff. Me, on the other hand, am just going to sit back and enjoy all the bickering and controversy. Because, that my friends, is why I love college football…everybody is going to have an argument. Isn’t that more fun than a boring playoff system?

  • By the way, from the bold prediction department, I firmly believe that Saturday’s loss by USC is going to be the reason they win the National Championship next season. Just like their last Pac-10 loss at Cal catapulted the Trojans to extended dominance, I think this loss is going to do the same thing, because in the midst of their furious attempt to come back on Saturday, the Trojans found something they have been missing all season: an offense! In that fourth quarter, they found a way to get J.D. Booty in the groove. That’s going to go a long way to raising that 2007 Championship banner.

  • Everybody seems so enamored with Urban Meyer and Florida’s offense, but I’m not exactly sure why. In their four biggest games of the year, they have scored 21 points at UT, 23 at home against LSU despite the fact LSU turned the ball over 5 times, 17 points at Auburn, and 21 points Saturday against UGA. Call me nuts, but that’s not exactly the makings of an offensive juggernaut.

  • On the other hand, Michael Vick and the Falcons are starting to look eerily similar to an offensive juggernaut. For all the haters out there, Bill Simmons and Fite included, how are you feeling about the most electrifying man in football after his nearly 600 yards and 7 touchdowns in the past 2 weeks. I don’t know about you, but he looks a lot like a great quarterback to me right now.

  • If you were a Colts fan on Sunday, were you concerned for even one minute that they were going to lose that game? I didn’t think so.

  • Last week on The WAD we had a very spirited discussion about Tiki Barber’s Hall of Fame chances. It was a great debate, but not as great as the one I think I’m going to spark with this comment: Brad Johnson is a Hall of Famer. Yea, I said it. Now, just as I was writing this, he threw his second pick of the night against the Pats, so it looks like my timing isn’t exactly impeccable, but I’ve never let that stop me before. So, here’s the argument, do with it what you will:

    I’m going give some stats to consider. In the modern era (1946 – present), 23 quarterbacks have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Of these 23, 10 are without a doubt deserving of their induction and in a class above Johnson (Elway, Fouts, Jurgensen, Kelly, Marino, Montana, Moon, Tarkenton, Unitas, and Young). The other 13, however, are not such an open and shut case. Don’t believe me, check out their stats:

1) Troy Aikman: 165 games played, 32,942 yards passing, 165 passing touchdowns, 141 interceptions, 1016 rushing yards, and 9 rushing touchdowns.

2) Terry Bradshaw: 168 games played, 27,989 yards passing, 212 passing touchdowns, 210 interceptions, 2,257 rushing yards, and 32 rushing touchdowns

3) Joe Namath: 140 games played, 27,663 yards passing, 173 passing touchdowns, 220 interceptions, 140 rushing yards, and 7 rushing touchdowns.

4) Bob Griese: 161 games played, 25,092 yards passing, 192 passing touchdowns, 172 interceptions, 994 rushing yards, and 7 rushing touchdowns.

5) Roger Staubach: 131 games played, 22,700 yards passing, 153 passing touchdowns, 109 interceptions, 2,264 rushing yards, and 20 rushing touchdowns.

6) Bart Starr: 198 games played, 24,718 yards passing, 152 passing touchdowns, 138 interceptions, 1,308 rushing yards, and 15 rushing touchdowns.

7) George Blanda: 342 games played, 26,920 yards passing, 236 passing touchdowns, 277 interceptions, 344 rushing yards, and 9 rushing touchdowns.

8) Len Dawson: 211 games played, 28,711 yards passing, 239 passing touchdowns, 183 interceptions, 1293 rushing yards, and 9 rushing touchdowns.

9) Otto Graham: 72 games played, 13,499 yards passing, 88 passing touchdowns, 94 interceptions, 682 rushing yards, and 33 rushing touchdowns (and he was a WWII vet)

10) Bobby Layne: 175 games played, 26,768 yards passing, 196 passing touchdowns, 243 interceptions, 2,451 rushing yards, and 25 rushing touchdowns.

11) Y.A. Tittle: 178 games played, 28,339 yards passing, 212 passing touchdowns, 221 interceptions, 999 rushing yards, and 33 rushing touchdowns.

12) Norm Van Brocklin: 140 games played, 23,611 yards passing, 173 passing touchdowns, 178 interceptions, 40 rushing yards, and 11 rushing touchdowns.

13) Bob Waterfield: 91 games played, 11,849 yards passing, 97 passing touchdowns, 128 interceptions, 21 rushing yards, and 13 rushing touchdowns.


Now, I want you to consider my man, Brad Johnson. He has played 136 games, thrown for 27,097 yards, 159 touchdowns, and 106 interceptions. In addition, he has 603 rushing yards and 7 rushing touchdowns. Now, throw in the fact that Brad won a ring with one of the most traditionally horrible franchises in all of professional sports, and I think he stacks up more than favorably with the rest of these 13 guys. I mean, look at his numbers and the teams he has played for and compare them to Aikman’s numbers and consider the teams Aikman had the good fortune of playing for! And yes, as I just wrote this, Brad threw into triple coverage and nearly threw his third pick of the night, but, Brad Johnson has a great Hall of Fame argument and that is my story and I’m sticking to it.