Monday, August 14, 2006

Monday Musings

I must again start the week with many thanks to Fite for carrying the load to end last week. If this keeps up, as Huge suggested, we may need to change the name to the Tulsa WAD. As for now, we’ll keep Atlanta in the name, and I will do my best not to let work get in the way of my blogging. That being said, here’s what’s on my mind as I continue to try to survive until toe meets leather on Labor Day Weekend:

  • As much as I am jonesing for football, I just can’t bring myself to watch preseason football. I tried to watch the Falcons/Pats game Friday night, and I just couldn’t do it. It’s like going on a date and knowing within ten minutes that your clothes are definitely not coming off. I mean, you can still have a good time for a little while, but you can’t help but get bored in a hurry.

  • In case you hadn’t noticed, Coach K and the U.S. Basketball team are taking care of business. They blew out Lithuania Saturday, and no matter how much the pundits, especially ESPN.com’s Chris Sheridan, try to tell you otherwise, this team is going to cruise through the World Championships. Seriously, do you really think anybody in the world can match up with Lebron, D. Wade, and ‘Melo? I hope the rest of the world enjoyed 2004, because the U.S. dominance is back.

  • Roger Federer upped his record to 62-4 this year. Is he the Tiger Woods of tennis? I’m asking because I have never watched him play. In fact, I’d be more likely to watch a WNBA game than a mens’ tennis match that didn’t involve Andre Agassi. So, I guess it’s safe to say that The WAD isn’t where you can expect to see constant updates on the upcoming U.S. Open.

  • By the way, the Braves are still only 6 games out of the Wild Card. This is starting to border on torture. I’ve had root canals that were less painful than this baseball season.

  • For all those of you keeping score at home, with the official news that Nick Lachey is dating Vanessa Minillo he has officially won the battle with Jessica in a TKO. There are few women in the world that are indisputably hotter than Jessica Simpson. Well, it so happens that Vanessa Minillo is one of them. And yes, I would trade lives with Lachey right now, no questions asked.

  • Speaking of guys I would trade lives with, how about Jamie Gold? He goes from being a big time Hollywood agent (repping James Gandolfini, Lucy Liu, and other stars) to winning $12 million at the World Series of Poker. In other words, it doesn’t suck to be Jamie Gold.

  • Finally, I’ve had this conversation with several friends this weekend: How great is the new ESPN Mobile commercial with Reggie Bush? Simply fantastic comedy. And, speaking of Bush, how many people in Houston lit themselves on fire when Reggie ripped off that 44 yard run Saturday night? I’m guessing more than a few.