Monday, August 07, 2006

Monday Musings

Let me start the week off by sending a big “Boomer” out to Fite in appreciation for him taking care of The WAD last Thursday and Friday in my absence. As always, solid work from the Oklahoma City Kid. Now, my schedule has loosened up, and you are once again stuck with me. And, as we start another week, here’s what’s on my mind:

  • Chalk up another historical accomplishment for Tiger. With his four consecutive 66’s at the Buick, he’s now the youngest golfer to ever reach 50 career wins. The accomplishment is even more remarkable when you consider that he has only entered 198 career events. In other words, Tiger wins more than a quarter of the events he enters. That is simply staggering. In fact, I’m not sure any other athlete has ever been this dominant for so long. I’m open to suggestions, but except for M.J., nobody even comes close in my mind. To put it in perspective, Tiger has been a professional for 10 full years, and he’s won 50 tournaments. Phil Mickelson, probably the second best player of this generation, has spent 14 years on tour and won only 29 tournaments. Also, when you consider that Tiger only plays a handful of tournaments other than the majors, his success is even more mind boggling.

  • Last Monday, I told you about my bowling adventures of last weekend. Well, this weekend, I somehow found myself back on the lanes. This time around, however, I had indulged in more than a few adult beverages before rolling. The result? I threw up the highest score of my life (163). The lesson? Jim Beam makes everything better. It’s really that simple.

  • Somehow, someway, the Braves are still only 5.5 games out of the Wild Card. This entire season is bordering on cruel and unusual punishment. I mean, we are awful. We may have the worst pitching in the National League, but we are hanging around just enough to keep me emotionally invested. I’m not sure how it will all eventually play out, but I do know with complete certainty that it’s not going to end well for me. There is just no way it can.

  • First Lance Bass announces he’s gay, and then Floyd Landis’ B sample comes back positive. I just don’t think I can handle any more shocking revelations. What’s next? Is somebody going to tell me the Braves tried to unload Andruw Jones on waivers?

  • Rumor has it that Isiah and the Knicks might be interested in adding Darius Miles to their sinking ship. Why not? I think a chronically underachieving malcontent that is guaranteed $8.25 million next year is just what the Knicks need to turn things around. In all sincerity, you have to start wondering how bad it must get before David Stern has no choice but to have Isiah…uh…dealt with?

  • The first USA Today/ESPN college football poll has been released, and Ohio State is the overwhelming choice for Number 1, with Texas coming in at #2. I, however, was more interested in the fact that 5 teams on Tech’s schedule are ranked in the top 18. Hey, I would be worried if we didn’t have Reggie Ball coming back for his fourth year at quarterback! What’s amazing is that I almost typed that entire sentence without throwing up in my mouth…almost!

  • Finally, last night, my buddy Dave and I headed up to Phipps to take in “Talladega Nights.” I went in with big expectations. How couldn’t I? The trailer, and all the Youtube clips are hilarious, so I was pretty sure that Dave and I were in store for 100 minutes of non stop laughter. Well, the laughs weren’t as constant as I expected, but they were still plentiful. Will Ferrell’s delivery is impeccable, and his physical comedy is outrageous without going overboard. At the end of the day, because some of the supporting performances weren’t exactly strong, and some scenes just didn’t work as well as they could have, I’d grade “Nights” out at a B+. I, however, felt the same way about “Anchorman” the first time I saw it, but after seeing it for a second time (and about 12 more times after that), it is now an undisputed A+ in my book. I’ve got a sneaky feeling that “Nights” is only going to get better with each additional viewing.