Thursday, July 06, 2006

Hot Routes

Not to much to say this morning, but it's not like me not to have anything to say, so here are a few "hot routes" to help you bide your time until the caption contest makes its much anticipated return this afternoon:

1) World Cup Finals

As you have probably figured out by now, I'm hooked. Never in my life did I think I would call my roommate to ask him to pause a soccer game and wait for me to get home before watching the second half. But, that is exactly what happened on Tuesday when I raced home to catch the thrilling conclusion of the Italy vs. Germany semifinal match. If hat wasn't enough, when I got home from work yesterday, the first words out of my mouth were "who won the game?" It's official...I'm a World Cup fan. I, however, am relieved that it will all be over on Sunday so I can not think about soccer again until 2010. Speaking of Sunday, what a matchup this promises to be. You have the old and grizzled French team led by the retiring Zidane vs. the upstart Italians led by a bunch of guys named Vincent, Carmine, and Anthony. Fine, I made that last part up, but you get the point. As a man with a significant amount of Italian blood running through my veins, and an even more significant amount of animus toward the French in every fiber of my being, I will be cheering obnoxiously for the Italians. This Zidane guy, however, is such a great story that it almost makes me not appalled by the thought of a French victory. Okay, that's not true. I think Zidane is phenomenal to watch, but there is no part of me that will not be appalled by a French victory!

Nomar

Let me get this straight...Nomar (one of the few guys in sports that can legitimately referred to by his first name by the way) is leading the National League with a .361 average, is hitting somewhere close to .775 in the past few weeks (that may be a slight exaggeration), is 7th in the NL in slugging percentage, 5th in OBP, 5th in OPS, has a 17 game hitting streak, has committed 1 error while compiling a .998 fielding percentage at a new position, and oh by the way, has his hometown team .5 games out of first place half way through the season, and the only way he can make the All-Star team is if he wins something called the "Monster 2006 All Star Fan Vote"???????? Are you kidding me? Would somebody please explain this to me because it really doesn't make sense. I'm not even kidding, I would love a rational explanation. Look, I'm not claiming that he's more deserving than Ryan Howard, Lance Berkman, or Albert Pujols at first base. All I'm saying is that if you are going to purport to field a roster of the best in the game, there has to be a spot for Nomar regardless what the "Monster" ballots say. I mean, is it really necessary to have 8 starting pitchers. I don't even know why I care about this, but I do, so you are stuck reading about it. Moving on...

The Western Open

It's certainly not a major, but you might want to find time to tune in this weekend to the Western Open just outside of Chicago. Why? Well, it's not often that we get to see the likes of Woods, Mickelson, and Singh in the same non-major field. After Tiger and Phil's very different, but equally embarassing debacles at the U.S. Open, it will be interesting to see how they bounce back as they attempt to get geared up for The Open Championship across the pond. Will Phil be able to bounce back, or will Tiger be able to shake off the rust and return to form? Who knows? All I do know is that the thought of a lazy Sunday afternoon on the couch watching Tiger and Phil battle it out in Chicago sounds pretty good to me. Now, if only they don't go out and screw up my plans!