Friday, July 07, 2006

Cleaning Out the Inbox at the End of the Week

I’ve gotten some great emails in the past few days that have sparked some interesting email exchanges. So, to close the week, I figured I’d share a few of the most amusing and thought provoking. So, here goes:

1) Mr. Fite, my good friend, my law school compatriot, and an esteemed attorney for the great state of Texas, and I just finished confirming plans for him to spend Labor Day weekend in Atlanta at which time he will attend the Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame showdown at Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field. So, what does he do to get me fired up for the big game? Well, he sends me this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/06/28/mandel.mailbag/1.html

Let’s see how this equation looks:

Richt as the 6th best coach in America + O’Leary as the 10th best coach in America + Gailey as the 3rd worst coach in America = Me jumping off the 17th Street Bridge during rush hour.

Man, it’s great to be a Tech fan. We are undoubtedly the most tortured group of fans in America. I won’t even argue about this.

2) Fite didn’t stop there. Fortunately, however, he decided to avoid pushing me over the bridge and simply provided this breaking news:

http://www.dispatch.com/football/football.php?story=dispatch/2006/07/06/20060706-F2-01.html

You mean to tell me that Mo can’t even catch on in the CFL? The actual Arena League? Look, I know he’s doesn’t run a 4.5, and I know it’s probably not a good idea to leave your valuables laying out around him, but am I the only one that remembers he was a complete badass on a national championship team at Ohio State? I mean, wasn’t he the best player on that team at the age of 18? I just don’t understand what happened to him. This is destined to be one of the great mysteries of my life. Oh well.

3) Finally, Fite capped off an impressive email string with this stunning story out of our old stomping grounds:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/06/subway.rampage/index.html

When we lived in the City, Fite, Vines, Huge, and I lived less than five blocks from this stop and exited the subway here countless times. That being said, two thoughts immediately came to my mind when I read this article: 1) I would have pitied the fool that tried to assault Fite with power saws when he was returning from one of his weekly trips to the GameStop. There are certain things you just don’t do, and one of them is try to separate Fite from his X-Box games. Saw or no saw, Smokey would have been in for a world of pain. 2) From this point forward, I’m going to carry a copy of this article around in my pocket, and when people ask me if I miss NYC, I am just going to give it to them to read. That should provide a sufficient answer.

4) Vines, one of the many brave souls to have survived actually sharing an apartment with me, finally got around to sending me some of his stories from his 10 day odyssey in a Winnebago through Germany for this year’s World Cup. I’m not going to spoil his tales because I’m trying to convince him to share them in his words on The WAD next week, but suffice it to say, the very few he shared with me left me laughing out loud at my desk. If you’ve ever been inside a law office, you know that laughing is something that rarely happens. Let’s just say that there are more than a few people in Germany that will never forget the American with blue hair. Hopefully, in addition to sharing his stories, he will post a link to his photo album. I’ve seen it, and it needs to be shared with the WAD Nation. (And yes, this was my underhanded way of leaving Vines with no choice but to write up his stories this weekend so I can post them next week. Peer pressure is an absolute bitch!)

5) Last but not least, Stats sent me the following:

“This is a good, if not great question...what happens if the NL West ends in a 3 way tie? How do you tiebreak that? What if it’s a 4 way tie? I am so rooting for this to happen.”

I immediately had three thoughts: 1) Who cares about the NL West? 2) How would they break a 3 or 4 way tie? 3) What the hell does Stats do all day?

Well, fortunately, it didn’t take long for Stats to provide the following answer to at least one of these questions:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_press_release.jsp?ymd=20030908&content_id=517243&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

As for what Stats does all day, I honestly have absolutely no idea!


So, that wraps up an abbreviated Holiday week on The WAD. I hope everybody has a great weekend. And, don’t forget to catch The World Cup Finals on Sunday at 2 P.M. on ABC.