Monday, June 26, 2006

Monday Musings

Well, after a weekend of monsoon like rains here in the ATL, Hans and I are almost completely settled in the new house. There are still some odds and ends to put together, but both big screens are fully operational, we have full internet access, and the women have been pouring into the hot tub. Well, at least two of those three things are true. I’ll let you guess which ones. At any rate, here’s a peak between my ears as we start another week:

  • Check out these numbers:

    United States population = 299,064,599; $12,360,000,000,000 GDP.
    Ghana population = 22,409,572; $ 54,450,000,000 GDP.

    And you mean to tell me that we can beat these guys at soccer? That sound you just heard was me striking a match. I am actually in the process of setting myself on fire.

  • Here is my assessment of the College World Series: the pitching sucks, the fielding sucks, and I couldn’t care less who wins. I mean, I’m sorry. This time every year, people try to act like this event matters, but it just doesn’t. It’s a nice event for Omaha, NE, and I’m sure it’s a great experience for the players, coaches, and their families, but that’s about it. Seriously, can you name four of the last five college baseball champions without going to Google? And yes, I would feel the same way even if Georgia Tech won the World Series. At the end of the day, even if Tech had won the World Series, that wouldn’t change the fact that Chan Gailey is our football coach, Reggie Ball is our quarterback, and we are starting two freshman on the hardwood next season. Those things keep me up at night, and that my friends, is the difference between a sport that matters and one that doesn’t.

  • “Entourage” isn’t the only great show on Sunday night. If you don’t already, you should definitely make time for Dane Cook’s “Tourgasm” at 11:00 p.m. on HBO on Sunday. You’ve got one horrible aspiring comedian, two guys on the cusp of stardom, and the funniest white guy on the planet right now all riding around the country in a bus playing college campuses. How could this not be fascinating? Plus, Dane Cook allegedly “knows” Jessica Simpson! In the words of Coach Norman Dale, “that is this kind of commitment that demands yours respect!”

  • In the 15 games Albert Pujols spent on the DL, I fell from 1st to 5th in Wadball, and only the Braves have looked worse than my squad. Still, the other day when Shalls asked me if I regretted my post draft trade of A-Rod for Pujols, my answer was a resounding “no”. I would still rather finish last than finish first with Mr. March on my squad.

  • We have officially entered into a two and a half month sports abyss. But hey, only two months and six days until college football season starts. And as Hans just reminded me, we have the Tour De France coming up. I have officially placed the match to my leg hair…it should be over in just a minute. On a serious note, however, staring down two and half months without any compelling sports stories is uncharted territory for The WAD. So, I anticipate an increased focus on television, movies, pop culture, etc…until toe meets leather on Labor Day Weekend. That being said, I would really appreciate some emails and assists from you, the readers. So, if you have any ideas for columns, contests, features, etc…please don’t be shy about sending them my way.

  • Finally, a programming note for the rest of the week. We’ll have business as usual tomorrow with a little Television Tuesday, and I am planning on giving you a special preview of the NBA draft on Wednesday morning. So, if you haven’t watched “Entourage”, and you haven’t checked out Chad Forde’s or Brendan McGovern’s mock drafts yet, get off your ass and get ready!