Thursday, May 11, 2006

Hot Routes

It's Thursday morning, so here are some quickies for the morning to bide your time before the weekly Caption Contest:

1) I've got to send a big shout out to the guys of "Mayhem in the A.M." at 790 The Zone here in Atlanta. Steak, Mike, and Chris host the best morning show in the city, and they were kind enough to have me on for a few minutes to talk about The WAD. It was great to sit down with these guys and talk a little sports and just see how the show works. I, of course, was a little nervous about being live on the radio, but once things got rolling it was a really good time. Thanks to all of you that listened. I had some really nice phone calls from a few of you, and I appreciate you waking up at the crack of dawn to listen. Just further proof that the best thing about The WAD is undoubtedly the readers.

2) The Heat and Clips both came back strong last night and destroyed the Nets and Suns respectively to even their respective Series at 1-1. Should we be surprised? Of course not. In a 7 game series, Game 2 is always a "must win" game. No team, I don't care who you are, can afford to spot the other guy two games in a race to four. So, it's inevitable that the team that dropped Game 1 is going to come out more emotionally charged than the other guy. Couple that with the fact that the Clips and the Heat are better teams than the Suns and the Nets, and last night's results were inevitable. The same, of course, was true for the Mavs in Game 2 against the Spurs. And yes, the Mavs are better than the Spurs. This rule, however, certainly didn't apply to the Cavs, because there is no level of emotion or motivation sufficient enough to overcome the difference between them and the Pistons!

3) Can you believe that Charlie Casserly resigned yesterday as the Texans GM? I'm floored by this. I know this has been rumored for months, but how in the world can you pull what he pulled on draft day and then walk away? It's incomprehensible. If I was a Texans fan, I would be out of my mind right now. There are only two possible explanations: 1) Charlie knew he was on his way out, he was bitter about it, and he decided to hose the Texans on his way out; or 2) This decision was made before the draft and Charlie wasn't calling the shots on draft day. If it's option #1, I don't agree with it, but I can respect that. If it's option #2, however, somebody better man up and take responsibility for passing on Bush. This, of course, won't happen. Regardless of the circumstances, if Reggie Bush ends up being the second coming of Barry Sanders, all we are going to hear out of Houston is "it was Charlie Casserly's call." The moral of this story? The Texans are a mess.

4) Okay, I'm still not emotionally ready to devote and entire article to the current state of the Braves, but it's time to briefly break my silence. I can't tell you how many times this season I've heard "I just wish we still had Leo." Listen, you won't find a bigger Leo Mazzone fan than me, and it pains me to see him on the Orioles bench. The problems with the Braves, however, go much deeper than the loss of Leo. When you are 11th in the National League in batting average, 13th in On base percentage, and when your lead off hitter is hitting .205 with a strike out every 4.68 at bats, you can't expect to win. You just can't.

Check back in this afternoon for the weekly Caption Contest.