Thursday, April 27, 2006

Hot Routes

No need for a big intro, here's the Hot Routes:


Nash?

I’ve got to admit, I’m really shocked that Nash is going to win the MVP. Certainly he is deserving, but I’m just stunned that he’s actually going to bag two in a row. Here’s the deal: He has actually had a better season than last year, but he won last year because nobody else really stood out. This year, however, tons of other guys stood out, so I’m not as comfortable giving the award to a guy who is definitely not one of the best 10 players in the League! Yes, I said he’s not one of the best 10 players in the league. Kobe, Lebron, D. Wade, Shaq, Duncan, Nowitzki, Garnett, Iverson, Chauncey Billups, Artest, etc…are all better players than Nash. Are they more valuable? Well, that is truly a subjective question, and the voters apparently thought so. But, before we leave the debate, I want you to answer just one question: If you replaced Nash with Sam Cassell, would the Suns be 20 games worse? Probably not. Now, ask yourself this: If you replaced Lebron or Kobe with anyone other than each other, would their respective teams be 20 games worse? Definitely. At the end of the day, I think this vote came down to two things: 1) The voters couldn’t pull the trigger on a 21 year old MVP, and 2) The voters couldn’t pull the trigger on an accused rapist as MVP. I guess there could be worse reasons.

Favre

Thank God. Half of our long national crisis is over, and Brett Favre is coming back. Now, if we can only get Roger Clemens to make his stunning announcement that he is returning, we can all sleep at night. Seriously, I think it’s great that Favre is coming back. I’ve always loved him, and it will be fun to watch him throw 33 picks next year for a GAWD-AWFUL Packer team. I just wish that we could get Mike Patrick and John Madden in the same broadcast booth for one of Favre’s games. It would, of course, have to be on HBO, because you can’t show an all male orgy on network television.

“Deal or No Deal”

I was hanging out with my Dad last night and saw this show for the first time ever, and I was horrified. This woman had over $360K in the bank and risked it all for a 40% chance of winning more than $500K. I wanted to run through the t.v. screen and tackle her. It would be one thing if she were on of the Maloof Brothers, but she was a normal person with a husband and a kid. She started the whole thing by saying that her goal was to win enough money to buy her husband hair plugs. Well, call me nuts, but I think $360K would be enough to get that done. By the end of this nightmare, I actually was rooting against her so she would be punished for her greed. I felt very guilty about this, especially because I’m the same guy that spent 20 straight hours at a blackjack table less than a month ago. In the infamous words of Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in “Tombstone”, “it appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.”

N.C. State

Not that anybody cares, but N.C. State has now been turned down by Callipari and Lavin, and they are now reportedly pursuing John Beline of West Virginia. All three of those guys are worthy candidates, but I can’t for the life of me understand why in the world State isn’t turning to one of it’s own, Derek Wittenberg. Sure, I’m biased. Witt is someone I know and think the world of, but trust me when I tell you this: If N.C. State hires Derek Wittenberg, they will win BIG! Trust me! Unfortunately, because State A.D. Lee Fowler seems more concerned with making headlines than actually doing what’s best for his program, we will probably never know.